By Janice Boddy,Michael Lambek
- Presents a set of unique, ethnographically-informed essays exploring the big variety of ideals, practices, and non secular studies within the modern world
- Explores a large diversity of themes together with the ‘perspectivism’ debate, the increase of non secular nationalism, reflections on faith and new media, faith and politics, and concepts of self and gender relating to non secular belief
- Includes examples drawn from various spiritual traditions and from a number of areas of the world
- Features newly-commissioned articles reflecting the main updated study and demanding pondering within the box, written via a global staff of major scholars
- Adds immeasurably to our realizing of the advanced relationships among faith, tradition, society, and the person in today’s world
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Anthropology of Religion (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Similar anthropology books
The Emergence of people is an available, informative advent to the medical learn of human evolution. It takes the reader via time following the emergence of the trendy human species Homo sapiens from primate roots. Acknowledging the debate surrounding the translation of the fossil checklist, the authors current a balanced method on the way to do justice to assorted perspectives.
This e-book examines the ways that our rules approximately language and id which was framed in nationwide and political phrases as a question of rights and citizenship are more and more recast in financial phrases as an issue of additional worth. It argues that this discursive shift is hooked up to express features of the globalized new economic climate in what may be considered "late capitalism".
This booklet is a cross-cultural reference quantity of all attested numerical notation structures (graphic, non-phonetic platforms for representing numbers), encompassing greater than a hundred such structures used over the last 5,500 years. utilizing a typology that defies innovative, unilinear evolutionary versions of switch, Stephen Chrisomalis identifies 5 easy kinds of numerical notation structures, utilizing a cultural phylogenetic framework to teach relationships among structures and to create a basic concept of switch in numerical structures.
This quantity develops a special framework to appreciate India via indigenous and ecu views, and examines the way it copes with the bigger demanding situations of a globalized global. via a dialogue of non secular and philosophical traditions, cultural advancements in addition to modern theatre, movies and media, it explores the style within which India negotiates the pains of globalization.
- Finland, Cultural Lone Wolf
- Indigenous Education and Empowerment: International Perspectives (Contemporary Native American Communities)
- New Mythologies in Design and Culture: Reading Signs and Symbols in the Visual Landscape
- The American Dream: A Cultural History
Additional resources for A Companion to the Anthropology of Religion (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)
A Companion to the Anthropology of Religion (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) by Janice Boddy,Michael Lambek